Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tutorial: Quilted Nook Case

I got a Nook for my birthday last year, and it has been so wonderful!  I love reading on it, and I love bringing it around with me to read whenever I get a chance.  Since I take it out so much, I have been wanting a cover for it to keep it protected.  Instead of going out and buying one in the $20 range, I decided to use scrap fabrics I had laying around, and make it for practically ZERO!  Much better deal!! Here's the steps I took:

First, I cut out two squares for the back of the cover.  
two layers for the back



Then, I cut out two layers in a box the shape of the front cover.
two layers of a rectangle for the front

Add batting to the middle of the two rectangle layers, then pin and sew the inside box.
pinned with batting in the middle, inside seam sewn
 Add batting between the back pieces, with right sides facing out, then pin both the rectangle front and the back together, and sew around the outside of the front rectangle.
Lay these two pieces together, then pin

Sew together on the outside of the front rectangle, as shown

Trim all excess, to look like this
(Note: I do not like the way this puckers like this, I would have done it differently to make it not pucker on the sides.  It needed a little more seam allowance on the left and right sides)
Finished case without cover

To create the cover, cut two rectangles the size of the front plus seam allowance, place them right sides together, then place batting on top.  Sew around the perimeter, then turn inside out.  When turned inside out, the batting will be in the middle of the two pieces of fabric.
Two layers of fabric, right sides together, with batting on top.  Sewn around, leaving a few inches to turn inside out.

After I turned the front cover inside out, I sewed a top stitch around the edges, sewed it to the top of the nook cover, then added embellishments in a contrasting color.
Finished front cover, sewn to the top of the inside cover

Finished nook case, with cover flipped up

Finished nook case!

No comments:

Post a Comment