Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Reupholstered Dining Set

Our lovely dining set was purchased for a whopping $150 from Walmart.com.  Although it may not be the most fancy set, it has been worth the money ALL the way!  It has lasted beautifully, and there are no scratches on the table top at all, even though we use it regularly and it was purchased over a year ago.  However, the chair covers are starting to look a little ragged.  The fabric is some sort of microfiber, but they do not have the cleaning power of high quality microfiber.  The photo doesn't even give the dirt justice:




The part that was bothering me the most was that the cushions were the same color as our walls!  No color whatsoever in our dining area.  So, to change that, I chose a bright orange color!






On a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty, I would rate this project a 2!  Anyone can do it!  All I had to do was to remove the meager two screws that held in the cushions (I'm sure higher quality furniture is a little harder to remove), lay out my fabric face down on a table with a layer of batting over it, lay the cushion over it, cut it 3 inches around it, and then staple tightly to the back of the cushion.  No sewing required.  You don't even need the quilt batting if your cushions are already "cushy" enough for your tastes.

This was 54 inch home decor fabric on sale for $9.99 on Joanns.com, and I only needed one yard for my cushions, plus I had a coupon for free shipping!  I already had the staple gun, staples, and leftover quilt batting so this project only costed $10.90 with tax!  Not a bad deal, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment